The duration of the tour is 3 hours
A beer-tasting tour of Ölgerðin brewery is definitely the most enjoyable way t o learn about Iceland’s peculiar drinking history. In a 1908 referendum, Icelanders voted in favor of a ban on all alcoholic drinks. The ban took effect in 1915 and lasted for twenty years, or until 1935when wine and spirits were legalized. That is just the beginning of a long and complicated history of Iceland’s drinking culture. On this tour, we will take you on a journey through the history of brewing in Iceland where you will dive into the local drinking culture, sample some beers and other beverages from Ölgerðin’s main brewery, as well as a selection of outstanding beers from their award-winning craft brewery. Ölgerðin is the oldest producer of beer and soft drinks in Iceland. Over the past century, Ölgerðin’s products have become an essential part of Iceland’s food and drinking culture. The beers from Ölgerðin are crafted from unique lava filtered glacier water and carefully selected ingredients. Their brewmasters are highly acclaimed and their beers have received numerous international awards.
- Learn about Iceland's unique drinking culture and history
- Taste the many ambitious beers and delicious Icelandic beverages
- Have shot of Brennivín, Iceland's signature distilled spirit
- Discover the technology that makes beer so wonderful
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for hotels, guest houses and bus stops in Reykjavik
- Round-trip transportation
- English guidance
- Beer tasting
Pick up is about 30 minutes prior to departure. Your drop off destination will be the same place you were picked up.