A 7-8 hour guided tour suitable for 1-12 people.
Meet your tour guide at Carlisle railway station for the start of your guided Secret Solway day tour.
A tour that explores the local Solway coast history and culture of this scenic, but lesser known part of the UK. Take in the stunning coastline, distant views of the Lake District fells and Scottish hills on a journey through small pretty hamlets, villages and coastal towns in this undiscovered part of north west England. The tour includes lots of opportunities to take photographs of beautiful old historic buildings and the stunning views across the sands, tidal waters and rare wetland areas of the Cumbrian Solway coastal plains. On this tour you will:
- Follow the line of the western end of Hadrian’s Wall, and visit a fortified medieval 12th century church constructed from stones recycled from a Roman fort.
- See the remains of an important canal and then railway which once provided a route to a now forgotten tiny harbour in a small Cumbrian Solway coastal village. An emigration route that in the 1800s was used by many thousands of people leaving the poverty of northern England for new lives in America and Canada.
- View Solway airfields where north American pilots were based during WW2
- Explore Silloth a Victorian seaside spa town once known as ‘the Cumbrian Riviera’ and which welcomed many Transatlantic visitors during WW2 - Women air auxiliary pilots delivering new USA made planes, north American fighter pilots, famous movie stars and more. There are lots of different cafes and food shops available in Silloth for clients to buy a meal or a hot drink if they wish to.
- Visit Maryport – an attractive and historic harbour town, once an important centre for ship building in the 18th century. Find out about heroic sea captains and their many Transatlantic adventures. Learn about the town’s ties to the ill-fated Titanic. See views that inspired writers and artists, some famous -such as poet Norman Nicholson and painter L. S. Lowry.
- Visit a Solway based falconry to meet a local falconer and watch him fly his mesmerizing hawks, eagles and owls.
- Visit a local real ale pub to sample different Solway produced food and classic regional recipes as part of a tasting menu.