There really is no place on earth like the Scottish Highlands. This region of the UK is a natural playground of rugged mountains, intriguing legends, compelling music and entertainment and so much more. Set foot in this culture-lover’s paradise, and you won’t want to leave anytime soon. Here are 10 of our top recommendations of things to do in the Scottish Highlands.
1. Sample some of Scotland’s finest “water of life” along the Malt Whisky Trail.
2. Take a Loch Ness Cruise and search for Nessie after discovering Urquhart Castle.
3. Feast your eyes in awe at the breathtaking Ben Nevis mountain. Or, better yet, climb it for a stunning view of the Highlands.
4. Board the Jacobite Steam Train and take a journey along the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Harry Potter movie fans will recognize this same train was used in Hogwarts Express scenes.
5. Visit Eilean Donan Castle – an iconic monument which is one of the most photographed in all of Scotland.
6. Explore the Culloden Battlefield and learn more about the Jacobite Cause at its Visitor Center.
7. Discover the area’s way of life, customs and history at the Highland Folk Museum.
8. Allow Glen Coe to take your breath away while you enjoy Scotland’s great outdoors.
9. Get your culture fix in Inverness – the largest city in the Highlands. This is a great place to stay during your Highland adventures.
10. Attend the legendary Highland Games for unparalleled entertainment and adventure.